Shelter, Settlements and Non-Food Items
Divided into two sections, comprising 1) Shelter and Settlement and 2) Non-Food Items: Clothing, Bedding and Household Items. Both sections provide general standards for use in any of several response scenarios, such as the return to and repair of damaged dwellings, accommodation with host families, mass shelter in existing buildings and structures, and temporary planned or self-settled camps.
PDF of Chapter 4 (PDF file 328 KB)
International legal instruments
- The Right to Adequate Housing (Article 11 (1) of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights), CECSR General Comment 4, 12 December 1991. Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (1981); Article 14(2)(h). UN General Assembly.
- Convention on the Rights of the Child (1990); Article 27(3). UN General Assembly.
- International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (1969), Article 5(e)(iii). UN General Assembly.
- International Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees (1951), Article 21. UN General Assembly.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948), Article 25. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, United Nations. (PDF file 115 KB)
- Chalinder, A (1998), Good Practice Review 6: Temporary Human Settlement Planning for Displaced Populations in Emergencies. Overseas Development Institute/Relief and Rehabilitation Network. London. (PDF file 388 KB)
- Davis, I (1978), Shelter After Disaster. Oxford Polytechnic Press. 127pp
- Davis, J and Lambert, R (2002), Engineering in Emergencies: A Practical Guide for Relief Workers. 2nd edition, RedR/IT Publications. London.
- Hamdi, N (1995), Housing Without Houses: Participation, Flexibility, Enablement. IT Publications, London.
- ICRC (2002), Emergency Items Catalogue. ICRC. Geneva. 2 volumes.
- Kelly, C (2004), Guidelines in Rapid Environmental Impact Assessment in Disasters. Version 4, Developed by: Benfield Hazard Research Centre,University College London and CARE International. (PDF file 450 KB)
- MSF (2003), Guide of Kits and Emergency Items. Decision-maker guide. Médecins Sans Frontières. Belgium.
- Corsellis, T and Vitale, A, (2004), Transitional Settlement: Displaced Populations (Trial Edition). Shelterproject.org, Cambridge University, Cambridge. Part a, chapters 1-3 ‘Guidelines’ (PDF file 1.1 MB). Part b, chapters 4-9 ‘Reference’. (PDF file 3.1 MB)
- UNDP (2000), Emergency Relief Items, Compendium of Generic Specifications. Vol 1, Inter-Agency Procurement Services Office, UNDP. Copenhagen (3rd edition). (PDF file 6.4 MB)
- UNDRO (1982), Shelter After Disaster: Guidelines for Assistance. UNDRO. New York. 82pp
- UNHCR (1996), Environmental Guidelines. UNHCR. Geneva. (PDF file 192 KB)
- UNHCR (2002), Environmental Considerations in the Life Cycle of Refugee Camps. UNHCR. Geneva.
- UNHCR (1993), First International Workshop on Improved Shelter Response and Environment for Refugees. UNHCR. Geneva.
- UNHCR (1991), Guidelines on the Protection of Refugee Women. UNHCR. Geneva. (PDF file 125 KB)
- UNHCR (1999), Handbook for Emergencies. UNHCR. Geneva. 2nd edition, 419pp. (PDF file 2.25 MB)
- UNHCR (2001), Policy for Older Refugees: A Resource for the Refugee Community. UNHCR. Geneva.
- UNHCR (1998), Refugee Operations and Environmental Management: Key Principles of Decision-Making. UNHCR. Geneva. (PDF file 1.25 MB)
- UNHCR (1995), Sexual Violence Against Refugees: Guidelines on Prevention and Response. UNHCR. Geneva. (PDF file 234 KB)
- USAID (1998). Field Operations Guidelines for Assessment and Response (FOG). Version 3.0. (PDF file 901 KB)
- Zetter, R, (1995) Shelter Provision and Settlement Policies for Refugees: A State of the Art Review (via Oxford Brookes website). Studies on Emergency and Disaster Relief no. 2. Nordiska Afrikanstituet. Sweden. (PDF file 1 MB)
- Zetter, R, Ferretti, S and Hamdi N, (2001) From Roofs to Reintegration: Study to Enhance the Competences in Housing and Resettlement Programmes for Returnees, Swiss Agency for Development and Co-operation, Berne, Switzerland.