Protracted refugee situations constitute nearly 70% of the world’s refugees. Refugees trapped in these situations typically live without legal status and are denied a range of basic rights. Finding solutions to these situations have proven elusive for humanitarian actors, including the United Nations.
This resource summary complements Forced Migration Review Issue 33, September 2009: Protracted Displacement.
- Policy Briefing: Development assistance and refugees: towards a North-South grand bargain?
- The PRS Project website
- FMR Special Issue: Ten years of the guiding principles on internal displacement
- FMR Supplement: Protecting and assisting the internally displaced: the way forward
- FMR 17: When does internal displacement end
- Iraqis in Egypt: Time is Running Out [Video]
- West Bank Stories [ Video]
Selected full-text documents (for more, search in the Digital Library)
- Camps and freedoms: long-term refugee situations in Africa, Jamal, Arafat, 2003
- Development during crisis: promoting asset-building in protracted refugee situations, McDougal, Topher Leinberger, 2006
- Minimum standards and essential needs in a protracted refugee situation: a review of the UNHCR programme in Kakuma, Kenya, Jamal, Arafat, 2000
- Responding to protracted refugee situations: a case study of Liberian refugees in Côte d'Ivoire, Kuhlman, Tom, 2002
- Responding to protracted refugee situations: a case study of Liberian refugees in Ghana, Dick, Shelly, 2002
- Permanent crises? Unlocking the protracted displacement of refugees and internally displaced persons, Long, Katy, 2011
Selected web-based information resources (for more, search the FMO website)
- Protracted Refugee Situations: A discussion paper prepared for the High Commissioner's Dialogue on Protection Challenges, 20 November 2008
- UNHCR 2006 State of the World’s Refugees, Chapter 5 – Protracted Refugee Situations
- Protracted Refugee Situations, A wide-ranging collection of UNHCR documents on the issue of protracted refugee situations, published since 1999.
- Protracted Internal Displacement in Europe: Current Trends and Ways Forward, Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre of the Norwegian Refugee Council, 2009
- A surrogate state? The role of UNHCR in protracted refugee situations, UNHCR, Slaughter, Amy and Crisp, Jeff, 2009
Contact details for relevant organizations (for more, search in the Organizations Directory)
- Brookings Bern Project on Internal Displacement
- International Crisis Group
- International Rescue Committee
- Norwegian Refugee Council Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre
- Open Society Justice Initiative
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI), Campaign to end Human Warehousing
- Women’s Refugee Commission