Education in Emergencies and Reconstruction
This resource page complements Forced Migration Review, issue 22, which focuses on education in emergencies and reconstruction and is entitled ‘Education in emergencies: learning for a peaceful future’. Links are provided to online information about key initiatives in emergency education. There is also a sample selection of references selected from Forced Migration Online (FMO), which include full-text documents, journal articles, web resources, and organisations.
- Hart, Jason. "FMO Research Guide: Children and Adolescents in Conflict Situations" (October 2002)
- Education for All (EFA). UNESCO
- Dakar World Education Forum in 2000 developed a Framework for Action to achieve Basic Education for All (EFA) by 2015
- EFA Global Monitoring Reports. UNESCO
- Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) (Réseau Inter-Agences d’Éducation d’ Urgence)
- INEE handbook Minimum Standards for Education in Emergencies, Chronic Crises and Early Reconstruction (PDF file 363 KB) - A Commitment to Access, Quality and Accountability launched at the 2nd Global Inter-Agency Consultation, held in Cape Town, South Africa, December 2004.
- INEE Global Survey on Education in Emergencies initiated by the Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children (PDF file 2.28 MB) - see WCRWC 2004 report
- UNESCO/World Food Programme Cooperative Programme. School Feeding - see Into School, Out of Hunger
- INSPIRE (PDF file 40 KB) - UNHCR Education Forum Initiative - INnovative Strategic Partnerships in Refugee Education. March 2004. Working Together for Protection and Durable Solutions.
- UNHCR Peace Education Programme (PEP) (PDF file 160 KB) jointly implemented by the Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies.
- International Rescue Committee's Healing Classrooms Initiative
- Catholic Relief Services Accelerated Learning (AL) programs & Community Learning Systems (CLS)
- Basic Education and Policy Support (BEPS), USAID
- Jesuit Refugee Service work in education in Africa
Selected full-text documents (for more, search in the Digital Library)
- Academy for Educational Development (AED)/ Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children. 2003. The education imperative: supporting education in emergencies.
- Flores, Joaquin E. 1999. Schooling, family, and individual factors mitigating psychological effects of war on children.
- Nicolai, Susan and Triplehorn, Carl. 2003. ‘The Role of Education in Protecting Children in Conflict.’ Save the Children US. ODI, Humanitarian Practice Network 42
- Pigozzi, Mary Joy. 1996. Education in emergencies and for reconstruction: guidelines with a developmental approach. UNICEF.
- Sinclair, Margaret. 2001. Education in emergencies. UNHCR.
- Thomas, Clayton. 1999. Education under occupation: political violence, schooling, and response in Cambodia, 1979-1989. CICE: Current Issues in Comparative Education, 2 (1).
- UNICEF. 1998. Analytical study on education of Palestinian refugees in camps in Syria 1997/1998. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics and Natural Resources (PCBS)
Related Forced Migration Review issues and articles include:
- 2005. Education in Emergencies: learning for a peaceful future. FMR 22
- 1999. Schools in boxes. FMR 5
- 2001. The UNHCR Peace Education Programme: skills for life. FMR 11
- 2003. Logistics under pressure: UNICEF’s Back to School programme in Afghanistan. FMR 18
- 2004. Youth Education Pack: an investment in the future. FMR 20
- 2001. Return to peace: post-conflict realities. FMR 11
- 2002. Displaced children & adolescents: challenges & opportunities. FMR 15
Selected web-based information resources (for more, search the FMO website)
- 2010. Guidebook for Planning Education in Emergencies and Reconstruction, International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP).
- Children in emergencies, Save the Children - UK
- 2006. Education in emergencies and reconstruction, International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP).
- 2002. Education programmes for refugees: research report for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, branch office for Czech Republic. Institute of Ethnology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic. Department of Ethnic Studies
- Guiding principles on internal displacement
- 1996. Impact of Armed Conflict on Children. Report by Graça Machel expert of the Secretary-General for the United Nations
- 1994. Refugee children: guidelines on protection and care. UNHCR
- RESPECT e-zine: RESPECT (Refugee Education Sponsorship Program: Enhancing Communities Together)
- 2004. The state of the world's children 2004. UNICEF
Contact details for relevant organizations (for more, search in the Organizations Directory)
- Africa Educational Trust
- Caritas Internationalis
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ)
- Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC)
- Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE)
- International Institute for Educational Planning: (IIEP) UNESCO
- International Office for Migration (IOM)
- International Save the Children Alliance
- Norwegian Refugee Council
- Refugee Education Trust (RET)
- Sphere Project
- World Bank
- World Vision International