This resource summary highlights a selection of web-based resources that focus on Iraq.
The resources listed below provide information on and analysis of the current humanitarian situation of the Iraqi people and plans to deal with the humanitarian consequences of the war. There are also references to international humanitarian law resources and general principles to uphold during humanitarian action.
Links are provided to online information about Iraq, including a sample selection of references selected from FMO, which include full-text documents, journal articles, web resources, and organizations.
Forced Migration Review's, Special Issue: ‘Iraq's displacement crisis: the search for solutions’ (June 2007) assesses the scale of the displacement and highlights the inadequacy of current responses.
- Iraq's refugees - beyond tolerance, Regional Presentation (Recorded April 2010)
- Iraqis in Jordan (Recorded December 2007 - February 2008)
- Iraqis in Egypt: Time is Running Out (Filmed 2008)
- Chanaa, Jane. “FMO research guide: Iraq” (July 2003, Revised November 2007)
- Marfleet, Philip and Chatty, Dawn. Refugee Studies Centre Forced Migration Policy Briefing 4: “Iraq's refugees - beyond tolerance” (December 2009)
Related FMO thematic resource summaries
- Education in Emergencies and Reconstruction
- Emergencies and Humanitarian Assistance
- Human Rights
- See also: the ‘country information’ resource summary in FMO’s Thematic Resources section, which includes background country information on Iraq.
History & Politics
- 1UpInfoEncyclopaedia, Middle Eastern Political Geography.
- Butt, Gerald, and Assiyasi, Al-Mushahid, ‘Saddam Hussein - his rise to power’, BBC Arabic Magazine, Tuesday, 17 November 1998
- Kafala, Tarik, ‘The Iraqi Ba’ath Party’, BBC News Online, 25 March 2003
- US Committee for Refugees Country Report: Iraq.
- Mitchell, Susanna, Jubilee Research: Briefing on Debt in Iraq, 2003
- OXFAM Briefing Paper No. 48: ‘A Fresh Start for Iraq: The case for debt relief’, May 2003
Political violence and human rights
- Federation of American Scientists (FAS), Intelligence Resource Program: Iraqi Intelligence Agencies
- Human Rights Watch, ‘Genocide in Iraq: The Anfal Campaign Against the Kurds’, July 1993
- Robson, Barbara, Center for Applied Linguistics, The Refugee Service Center ‘Iraqi Kurds: Their History and Culture’, Refugee Fact Sheet Series No.13, 1996
- Special Rapporteur of the Commission on Human Rights on Iraq’s human rights
The Gulf Conflicts
- Human Rights Watch, ‘The Iraqi government assault on the Marsh Arabs’, January 2003
- The Persian Gulf Wars
Population displacement up to March 2003
- The Guardian, ‘One in six Iraqis are in exile, and they want this war’, 16 August 2002
- Human Rights Watch, ‘Iraq: Forcible expulsion of ethnic minorities’, Vol 13, no. 3(E), March 2003.
- Human Rights Watch, ‘Iraqi Refugees, Asylum Seekers and Displaced Persons: Current Conditions and Concerns in the Event of War’, February 2003
- Ridhaa, Farouk, RUSI Newsbrief: ‘The Iraqi Opposition: An Update’ 14 December 2002
- Save the Children Emergency Updates
- Scotland on Sunday, ‘Divided exiles prepare to govern Iraq’, 15 December 2002
- U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI), Press Releases
Iraq after Saddam
- Christian Aid, ‘Christian Aid in Iraq’, December 2004
- Guardian Unlimited, Iraq timeline: July 16 1979 to January 31 2004
- Human Rights Watch, Country Summary: Iraq, January 2005
- Human Rights Watch, Iraqi Elections: Human Rights Concerns: Questions and Answers from Human Rights Watch, 23 January 2005
- International Crisis Group, Reconstructing Iraq, Middle East Report N°30, 2 September 2004
- International Crisis Group, What Can the U.S. Do in Iraq?, Middle East Report N°34, 22 December 2004
- The New York Times, Iraq's Displaced Voters, January 25, 2005, Mooney, Erin and Jarrah, Balkees, The Brookings-Bern Project on Internal Displacement
- Oxfam, Iraq: War and Peace, Teachers resource
- UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI), Iraq: Situation Report - Week in Review, 1 - 15 Jan 2005
- University of York, Post-war Reconstruction and Development Unit, ‘Take grass roots approach to reconstructing Iraq’, press release
Selected full-text documents (for more, search in the Digital Library)
- Fawcett, John, and Tanner, Victor, ‘The Internally Displaced People of Iraq’, The Brookings Institution-SAIS Project on Internal Displacement, October 2002
- International Crisis Group (ICG), ‘Baghdad: A Race Against the Clock’, Middle East Briefing 6, 11 June 2003
- International Crisis Group (ICG), ‘Iraq Backgrounder: What lies beneath’, Middle East Report, no. 6, 1 October 2002
- International Crisis Group (ICG), ‘War in Iraq: Political challenges after the conflict’, Middle East Report, no. 11, 25 March 2003
- Dammers, Chris. Iraq: A Disaster for the 1990s? Disasters. 15 (4). 1991.
- Graham, Clare. Iraq: dilemmas in contingency planning. Forced Migration Review. 17. 2003.
- Romano, David. Displaced Iraqis – caught in the maelstrom. Forced Migration Review. 22. 2005.
Selected web-based information resources (for more, search the FMO website)
- Country profile page on Iraq (IDMC)
- Reliefweb: Countries and Emergencies
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), UNHCR Global Appeal 2005: Iraq, Working environment, Recent developments, December 2004 [Click on ‘The Global Appeal/Report’, then click on ‘Global Appeal 2005’. Select ‘Iraq’ from the ‘Access by country’ drop down menu]
- UNHCR 2000, ‘The State of the World's Refugees: Fifty Years of Humanitarian Action’
- USCRI World Refugee Surveys
Contact details for organizations based in Iraq (for more, search in the Organizations Directory)
- AMAR Foundation Assisting Marsh Arabs and Refugees
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Watch - Middle East & North Africa Dept
- Iraqi Community Association (ICA)
- Iraqi Prospect Organisation
- Iraqi Refugee Aid Council
- Kurdistan Regional Government
- Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA)
- Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR - UNOG)
- Republic of Iraq, Ministry of Foreign Affairs