Refugees and Returnees in the Great Lakes Region of Africa.txt
Refugees and Returnees in the Great Lakes Region of Africa.
01. Returnees from Zaire on their way home. Gisenyi - Ruhengeri road, Rwanda. 11/1996.
02. Returning from exile in Zaire. Gisenyi, Rwanda. 10/1996.
03. Deserted Mugunga refugee camp, formerly one of the largest camps for Rwandan refugees in
Zaire's Goma region. 12/1996.
04. OXFAM water tanks at the deserted Mugunga refugee camp, Zaire, being dismantled for use
05. IDPs from Zaire's Masisi region moving away from the border camp where they had found
shelter, in order to escape fighting in the Goma area, 10/1996.
06. Return to Rwanda: Refugees leaving the camps in Tanzania's Ngara region, 12/1996.
07. Return to Rwanda: Refugees leaving the camps in Tanzania's Ngara region, 12/1996.
08. Red Cross workers provided strings to avoid that children become separated from their parents
during the long trek back to Rwanda. Ngara region, Tanzania, 12/1996.
09. Returning refugees line up for rations of high-energy biscuits, Ngara region, Tanzania, 12/1996.
10. During the mass return to Rwanda, UNHCR plastic sheeting provided at least some protection
against the elements.
11. Rwandan refugees returning from Ngara region, Tanzania, 12/1996.
12. Mass return of Rwandan refugees. Crossing Rusumo bridge which forms the border between
Tanzania and Rwanda, 12/1996.
13. Arrival of refugees from Zaire at Kibiriti Port, Kigoma, Tanzania, 12/1996.
14. Registration of new arrivals from Zaire at a reception centre in Kibiriti, Kigoma, Tanzania.
15. Medical care for new arrivals from Zaire, Nyaragusu camp, Kasulu district, Tanzania, 12/1996.
16. Aerial view of Tingi Tingi camp near Lubuto, Maniema Prefecture, Zaire. 01/1997.
17. Rwandan refugees at Amisi camp near Lubuto, Maniema Prefecture, Zaire, 01/1997.
18. Airlift of high-protein biscuits for Rwandan refugees. Kalima, Shabunda region, Zaire. 02/1997.
19. Rwandan refugees awaiting food distribution at Kalima, Shabunda region, Zaire, 02/1997.
20. An unaccompanied returnee child at Birenga transit centre, Rwanda, is interviewed so his
parents can be traced, 12/1996.
UNHCR/R. LeMoyne 01
UNHCR/R. Chalasani 02,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,20
UNHCR/H.J. Davies 03,04
UNHCR/L. Taylor 13,14,15
UNHCR/C. Bowers 16,17
UNHCR/D. Endres 18,19