Refugees,Displaced Persons and Rerturnees in the Former Soviet Union.txt
Refugees, Displaced Persons and Returnees in the Former Soviet Union.
01. Some 1,200 asylum seekers, mainly Afghans and Kurds from Iraq, live in four accommodation
centres outside Moscow. Here, Tchekova accommodation centre.
02. An Afghan family at Zelenogradsky accommodation centre near Moscow.
03. The French NGO, EquiLibre, has opened a school for children of asylum seekers in Moscow who
do not have access to Russian schools.
04. Lorien Foundation, a Russian NGO, provides medical assistance to asylum seekers in Moscow.
Some of the clinic's staff members are themselves refugees, e.g. the Iraqi and Afghan nurses
05. African asylum seekers feel especially isolated and disillusioned by the lack of assistance
they receive. Near Lumumba University, Moscow.
06. Many Russians who spent years, and sometimes their entire lives, in other republics of the
former Soviet Union now feel compelled to return to Russia. Here, an ID card is being issued
at the Moscow Migration Service to a Russian who came back from Tajikistan.
07. Armenian children who had to flee Azerbaijan. Lchap Pioneer Camp, Vartenis District, Armenia.
08. Many of the displaced in Azerbaijan live in tented camps like this one near the town of
09. Children from Nagorno Karabagh at a hostel for displaced Azerbaijanis, Technical School,
10. An old trailer was the only shelter this displaced family could find. Goyunbinasi near
11. Gali bridge crossing the Inguri river, which forms the front-line between Georgian and
Abkhazian troops, was destroyed during the fighting.
12. UNHCR staff, here at Zugdidi in Georgia, assists IDPs from Abkhazia to return to their
homes in the Gali district.
13. In Tajikistan's Kabodian district, IDPs and returnees from Afghanistan wait outside a
mobile clinic run by the NGO, Relief International.
14. In addition to providing medical treatment, Relief International's mobile clinic distributes
soap and iron tablets. Kabodian District, Tajikistan.
15. Returnees from Afghanistan rebuilding their homes in Shaartuz District, Tajikistan.
16. Tajik refugees returning from Afghanistan, Khatlon Province, Tajikistan.